Friday, October 8, 2010

Lake Chapparal Olympic Distane, Aug 8th 2010

This was a training race. I went in tired, with a plan to race as hard as I could and see where my legs and lungs would take me. During the race I had a few moments of thinking “racing on tired legs sucks”! Mission accomplished, I was tired!
The wonderful amazing Tanya Solomon and I traveled together for this one. I am very lucky to be able to train with such a talented athlete. The rides are fun and mixed pace when we do manage to train together; the conversation is better. She decided to do this race last minute, and it was fun to have her along!
The morning of the race we had laughs and giggles. I got my Starbucks and we had some great pre-race banter! It was nice to race so close to home.
Swim... not much to say. I wanted to stay on Tanya’s feet. (If at first you don’t succeed, tri tri again! It didn’t work with Sarah in Invermere... maybe I’d have better luck this time around!) I made it on her feet for the first lap. Somehow, on the start of the second lap I lost it! Her feet were gone in the turn of my head to take a breath! I’m still miffed about this!!

Onward and upward. I felt I swam well again, although my time was the same as always. It was after this race that I decided that I’m kind of at a standstill with swimming. It doesn’t seem to matter how much I do or don’t swim. I swim the same time every time. I’m stuck and need to work on that this winter. Still, my swim was OK.
The bike was fun! I really enjoyed the technical hilly course. By the 5th lap I decided I was good to be done with the big hill, but overall I was happy with how I executed. I stayed focused on watts and heart rate, and knew that the fatigue in my legs was a factor for both. Still, I thought I rode well. I was 3rd woman off the bike which was great! I knew that Tanya would be in front, and didn’t know who the other gal was, but I saw her during the bike. As it turns out I made up time on her and had the 2nd fastest women’s bike split of the day.
The run... a frustrating story indeed! It was supposed to be 9k. That’s what the race director advertised on his website. I’m fine with it being short as long as I know. Off I went for my 9k run. My technology failed me on this day as my footpod died. I was running nake! I was disappointed there weren’t any km markers, meaning I had NO idea how far or fast I was running. I don’t like that as most of you know.
I started the first loop and legs felt OK. I quickly got into rhythm and had a positive outlook. Then, I got MAD!
There was a “t” intersection on the course. It was maybe a km or less into the run, and it brought me to a standstill. There was nothing there to indicate which way to go. Not a pylon, a volunteer, a chalk aero, a surveyors flag. I couldn’t tell I was in a race, and was afraid to take a guess. I made a decision to run back towards transition to see if I could get directions. As luck would have it the 4th place woman off the bike was very pleasant and kindly showed me the way. She warned me that I would run along a long row of houses and not feel like I was on a race course at all... but to KEEP GOING! That was the best advice of the day.
When the race was over Trevor (TTL athlete) asked me why I came “back”! He saw me standing by the lake with my arms in the air. I was SO frustrated! I just about quit... but I didn’t; and I’m proud of that. What kept me going was the “What would I say to an athlete in the same situation” self talk? Would I be excited about an athlete quitting a race because of a wrong turn in the road? No... I would not. There are more lessons to be learned by finishing what you start, than by quitting because of dumb luck. If I couldn’t support it in others, I certainly could not support in for myself. So... I kept going!
My good friend Janice McCaffrey was a great cheerleader! She was on her cute little mountain bike, and rode along beside me a few times offering support. Get the “grrrr” Angie! You’re running well. Focus on the sign... just run to the sign! Her timing was perfect because as always, I was suffering!
The run took forever. I didn’t know how long I’d gone or how far I was running, but it felt like I was out there for a very long time! As it turned out the course was almost 11k. I didn’t know that, but I sure felt it!
In the end I finished 4th, and won my age group. The experience of traveling with Tanya, having Janice along to cheer, and Rena, John, Trevor and Steve there made it worthwhile for the day. Seeing Leslie Anne in tears over her AG placing was a beautiful moment in triathlon for me!
Will I do another Multisport race again anytime soon? Probably not. I was disappointed in several basic organizational expectations I have when I sign up for a race. I did talk to one of the race directors about it, and he accepted my feedback with kindness. It is my responsibility to know the course. That rule is a firm one. The fact that there was a volunteer at the infamous “t” intersection on my second lap tells me their lack of marking it was an oversight though, and it was careless.
The post race food was FANTASTIC! I must give kudos to the organizers for that! I will give credit where credit is due!
Oh... how did Tanya know where to go at the “t”? She didn’t! She guessed too! She said she had a 50/50 chance of getting it right, and was happy to make the right choice. Me... I got some extra running in and met a very nice young gal from Vegreville who runs FAST! She raced in Kelowna as well... but more on that next race report!

No comments: