Friday, June 26, 2009

Enough with the 10k nastiness!

I looked back at my posts and realized that I am a 10k complainer! I'm unhappy if the course is long; I'm unhappy if the course is short; and I'm unhappy if the course if bang on but I execute poorly! It's kind of like the 3 Bears... no bowl of porridge is just right and I should suck it up and change my attitude:)

So... here is the new me. I had a GREAT swim this morning. I got to share a lane with my wonderful athlete Cindy, then David a good friend. Beside us were 2 of the Roth clan working hard. I was in my happy place. The water felt "heavy" but the clock indicated things were going well. I was motivated and glad to be there!

I got home and forced myself straight out on a run. It was windy (again) but not as bad as yesterday so I got it done. Who knew I could have SUCH A GREAT RUN! The sun was shining, I was by myself enjoying the beauty and serenity of our wonderful path system in Cochrane, I saw a beautiful Husky puppy and others out enjoying the day. Running felt fast and effortless. All was good.

It got me thinking about how lucky I am to have triathlon in my life. It gives me purpose every day. I'm surrounded by people who share my passion and are highly motivated to love life. Sure training can be a challenge to fit around the rest of our responsibilities, but I know that we always feel better once we've got it done. I'm the first to say "leave the vacuum alone... get your run in" and I base that opinion on the fact that I always feel better after the run, but not so much after the vacuuming gets done. I've heard people say that training for an Ironman is a burden. I was surprised at that. We all make a choice to go this route with our time, so how does a "choice" become a burden?

Think about places in the world where every living moment is spent doing tasks to survive. Getting water and food, building shelters, keeping your family safe; all things we take for granted. We have an existence where we are able to make choices about how to spend our time at some point pretty much every day.

So... the next time you are struggling to get out the door to swim / bike or run, give yourself a quick kick in the behind to "gently" remind you that you get to make this choice. We are a privileged group. I'm thankful for that.

No comments: